An Activity Book For Helping Children Learn To Live In Harmony With Themselves And Each Other
Created by Karen Thompson, Linda Marinovich, Bob Neufeld, Marlene Neufeld and Phil Johncock
Based on the work of Gay and Kathlyn Hendricks
With illustrations by Bob Neufeld
Our vision: by teaching our youth the value of the consistent practice of conscious living and loving, we will create a more peaceful world in which human beings live in their full creativity and in harmony within themselves and with each other. The Conscious Kids’ Curriculum is an activity book comprised of forty-five hands-on learning activities designed for use with groups of children of all ages in the classroom, in after-school programs, at summer camps, in therapy, counseling, coaching, and/or at home. In our activity book, we share many fun and stimulating ways for kids to begin to practice and eventually master living and loving consciously. By teaching these practices to children and teenagers, it is our hope that adults too will learn to apply the tools in their own lives.
The main idea of this book is that our bodies know everything. Becoming aware of what we call “whole-body wisdom” helps people feel better and improves lives. The benefits of “whole-body wisdom” are interpersonal (how people relate to others), intrapersonal (how individuals relate to themselves), and social (how groups relate to each other). In addition, the emphasis on the importance of creativity throughout the book assists in teaching students to solve problems in new and different ways. Children are naturals at being creative and in knowing what is true. A bit of guidance from the adults in their lives in the direction of expanded consciousness is all that is needed to create marvelous and lasting results, and ultimately, a better world.
Included are the following seven sections:
- Preparation and Safety
- Increasing Aliveness
- Emotional Literacy
- Knowing Oneself
- Love and Respect for Self and Others
- Flow of Creativity
Special features include:
- It is formatted in a friendly way for easy use in the classrooms and with other groups.
- Everything needed to do the activities is included in the book and teachers can actually read verbatim from the book to engage students easily.
- It includes a list of the specific materials needed for each activity so teachers can prepare ahead of time.
- It is equipped with specific age-ranges appropriate for the activity and how to adapt it to satisfy other age-ranges.
- It is complete with an appendix that consists of special worksheets that may be copied and used for additional activities in the classroom to enhance on-going learning.
- It is organized in such a way that teachers may choose what learning objective they wish to teach and then locate an activity designed to fulfill that objective.
- It was co-authored by teachers who know first-hand what other teachers want and need.
- Included in it are the real-life experiences of people who have used these practices with children and teens to give an accounting of the practical value of the activities and how similar activities have worked in their lives.
Our intention: these playful and fun learning activities will aid students of all ages to develop greater self-awareness fostering greater harmony within themselves. This inner harmony will then ripple out into the world, creating goodwill with others and ultimately, peace. A vibrant living, breathing tapestry of opportunity is thus spread for those who open to learning our user-friendly, practical tools to build a conscious life.
Download HERE the book’s Introduction.